Friends of City Park with the help of City Park attendants, organized a Clean up exercise at City Park. The clean up exercise was concentrated in the following areas of the park: along the river channel, along the nature trails, around the Bowling green area, along Limuru road and around the Boscowen garden. The event was graced with the attendance of 70 volunteers from different youth groups around Nairobi, together with 10 City park attendants and some other park users. They were divided into 10 groups each tackling different areas of the Park.
The clean up exercise was a success and we managed to collect 100 bags of garbage and a great percentage was collected along the river.
After the clean up exercise, the volunteers gave the following recommendations:
- Have regular clean up exercises at the park.
- Organize an awareness campaign with the help of posters that will help sensitize City Park users not to litter the park.
- Increase the number of dustbins within the park.
- Social media campaign sensitizing City Park users to keep the Park Clean
- Develop a waste collection strategy and possibly recycle the waste for example through composting.
A big Thank you to everyone who participated in this clean up exercise!